Khaled Omar Harrah, 31, Syrian rescue worker known for saving a 10-day-old “miracle baby” from a collapsed building in Aleppo in 2014. He was part of the Syrian Civil Defense force, which has saved more than 40,000 people in the country. Harrah’s team says he was killed in an airstrike.
Fyvush Finkel, 93, actor who started in Yiddish theater before his Emmy-winning performance on the TV show Picket Fences. In recent years, he appeared in Boston Public and A Serious Man.
Kenny Baker, 81, who played R2-D2 in six Star Wars movies. The 3-ft. 8-in. actor said the filmmakers convinced him his stature made him perfect for the role: “You’re small enough to get into [the R2-D2 suit], and you’re strong enough to be able to move it.”
This appears in the August 29, 2016 issue of TIME.
- How the Anti-Vax Movement Is Taking Over the Right
- What Happens Next in Ukraine Could Change Europe Forever
- There's So Much More To Say About Bill Cosby
- Death Doulas Used to Be Rare. The COVID-19 Pandemic Changed That
- What It Feels Like to Be a Muslim Woman Auctioned Online by India's Right Wing
- America's First Openly Trans City Council President Wants to Heal Minneapolis
- The World's Farmers Need to Prepare for Serious Cash Crop Disruption