Khaled Omar Harrah, 31, Syrian rescue worker known for saving a 10-day-old “miracle baby” from a collapsed building in Aleppo in 2014. He was part of the Syrian Civil Defense force, which has saved more than 40,000 people in the country. Harrah’s team says he was killed in an airstrike.
Fyvush Finkel, 93, actor who started in Yiddish theater before his Emmy-winning performance on the TV show Picket Fences. In recent years, he appeared in Boston Public and A Serious Man.
Kenny Baker, 81, who played R2-D2 in six Star Wars movies. The 3-ft. 8-in. actor said the filmmakers convinced him his stature made him perfect for the role: “You’re small enough to get into [the R2-D2 suit], and you’re strong enough to be able to move it.”
This appears in the August 29, 2016 issue of TIME.
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up