Hometown hero Missy Franklin is the toast of her neighborhood. The Olympian was welcomed back to her home in Colorado on Wednesday by a heartwarming sight: her front yard had was transformed into a veritable garden of good wishes, as the lawn was sprinkled with heart-shaped paper flowers inscribed with kind notes to the swimmer.
Luckily it looks like the skies were blue without a cloud in sight — but we recommend she picks the paper blooms before the elements do away with all the words of support and encouragement. Franklin returns from Rio with another gold medal to add to her collection, courtesy of a win for her leg of the 4×200-meter freestyle relay, although the world-record-holder from 2012 failed to qualify for the finals of her two individual events.
Watch to the very end of the clip to see the neighborhood kids come by to greet their local Olympian.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving