It’s been eight years since Kristen Stewart first hit the mainstream audience as Bella Swan, the Mary Sue protagonist of the ultimate vampire-werewolf fan fiction-turned-blockbuster behemoth, Twilight, a role that launched her career and thrust her squarely into the public eye.
Stewart formerly dated her co-star Robert Pattinson. A media storm ensued, because the pair fulfilled the hopes and dreams of Bella and Edward fans everywhere. That appeared to end when a photograph surfaced in 2012, of her kissing director Rupert Sanders, who helmed the Stewart-fronted Snow White and The Huntsman).
“People wanted me and Rob to be together so badly that our relationship was made into a product,” Stewart said. “It wasn’t real life anymore. And that was gross to me. It’s not that I want to hide who I am or hide anything I’m doing in my life. It’s that I don’t want to become a part of a story for entertainment value.”
The lessons she’s learned since her time with Pattinson have aided Stewart with her current relationship with visual-effects producer Alicia Cargile, about whom she says, “I love her so much.”
“I would never talk about any of my relationships before, but once I started dating girls it seemed like there was an opportunity to represent something really positive,” she said. “I still want to protect my personal life, but I don’t want to seem like I’m protecting the idea, so that does sort of feel like I owe something to people.”
Read the rest of the interview here.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out