The Social Democrat politician was visiting the city of Salzgitter for an election campaign event when he was accosted by a group of masked protesters holding banners bearing the slogan “Traitor”, AFP reports.
Gabriel has publicly condemned his father as a “die-hard Nazi” in the past. This is referenced by the Neo Nazis in the footage, who tell him “Your father loved his country, and what do you do? You destroy it,” reports The Guardian. The Social Democrat Party has confirmed that the video, posted on Facebook by a youth group linked to the neo-Nazi NPD, is authentic.
This is not the first time a member of the party has caused controversy by pulling the offensive gesture. In Sept. 2013, former finance minister Peer Steinbrück shocked the public and his fellow politicians after he allowed the German daily newspaper Sueddeutsche Zeitung to publish a black-and-white photo of him with his middle finger in the air.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve