Simone Biles will have the opportunity to win her fourth gold medal of the Rio Olympics in the final for women’s beam Monday afternoon, but she clearly hasn’t forgotten what a long journey it was to get to the 2016 Summer Games. The 19-year-old gymnast posted a throwback photo of herself with teammate Laurie Hernandez on Instagram Monday, celebrating the pair’s face-off in the gymnastics competition.
“Funny thing is back then we never thought we would be competing at the Olympics,” she captioned the picture. “Crazy how things happen, so excited to be competing in Beam Finals today with this girl love you so much! DREAM BIG GIRLIES.”
The women’s balance beam final begins at 1 p.m. EST, but will air in primetime on NBC at 8 p.m.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science