Dick Van Dyke just can’t stop bursting into song. This time, the 90-year-old actor decided to entertain his fellow breakfast diners at a Denny’s restaurant in southern California with a casual but peppy performance of “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang,” the title song from the 1968 classic movie of the same name, in which he played the lead. He was accompanied in his morning rendition by three other singers who together form the a cappella Vantastix quartet.
In a Facebook post, Van Dyke shared the video and added a caption: “Breakfast at Denny’s, with a side of grits makes me want to sing!!” he said. (He also used Facebook’s status tool to indicate that he was “feeling content.”)
The chipper actor was looking dapper in a sharp black suit — definitely more dressed up than the rest of the Denny’s patrons, some of whom (a small child included) don’t seem to quite understand the magnitude of the performance they’re witnessing by the living legend. But everyone bursts out in appreciative applause at the end.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time