The Internet imploded Sunday night after Selena Gomez allegedly called out her ex, face tattoo enthusiast Justin Bieber, in an Instagram comment. The enfant terrible of the music world recently warned fans that he would make his Instagram private if they continued to hate on his purported new lady friend, Sofia Richie. The 17-year-old celebrity progeny has received a barrage of Internet vitriol from Beliebers after the Biebs posted a series of selfies with her on his Instagram.
As might be expected, Bieber’s fans were up in arms that their beloved would abandon them for his new squeeze. This is just the latest in a series of recent events this year that has had Bieber in hot water with his ardent fans.
People reported that Gomez commented on Bieber’s Instagram post with the following: “If you can’t handle the hate, then stop posting pictures of your girlfriend lol- It should be special between you two only,” she wrote. “Don’t be mad at your fans. They love you and supported you before any one ever did.” This comment immediately made Selena the veritable patron saint of the Beliebers, which predictably did not sit well with the Biebs.
Bieber reportedly responded to Gomez in the comments as well.
“It’s funny to see people that used me for attention and still try to point the finger this way,” he wrote. “Sad. All love.”
According to People, he later added another comment, noting, “I’m not one for anyone receiving hate. Hope u can all be kind to my friends and eachother. And yes I love my beliebers.”
This brief online interlude between the pair formerly referred to as Jelena was all the Internet needed to create a hashtag, #SelenaEndedJustinParty, which promptly started trending on the web.
Some fans were in awe of Selena’s deft handling of the situation.
While some were Beliebers who were just grateful for Selena standing up for them.
One fan queried why Justin accused Selena of being attention-hungry, when his throwback photos of her post-breakup have basically broken the Internet.
While others were just here for the drama.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart