Chinese diver He Zi received both a silver medal for the women’s 3-m springboard and a marriage proposal at the Rio Olympics on Sunday.
Boyfriend Qin Kai, 30, who had won bronze in the men’s 3-m synchronized springboard last week, seized the moment at the podium ceremony, bent down on one knee and offered up an engagement ring, according to Reuters.
“I didn’t know he would propose today,” said 25-year-old He, who tearfully accepted the proposal.
The sporting couple have been dating for the past six years.
“He said a lot of things there at the podium. He made a lot of promises, but the thing that has touched me the most is that I think this is the guy I can trust for the rest of my life,” He said
This is the second proposal seen so far at the Rio Games. Brazilian women’s rugby player Isadora Cerullo said yes to girlfriend Marjorie Enya after the rugby sevens final between New Zealand and Australia.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- The Ocean Is Climate Change’s First Victim and Last Resort
- Column: 6 Proven Ways to Reduce Gun Violence
- Ads Are Officially Coming to Netflix. Here's What That Means for You
- Jenny Slate on the Unifying Power of a Well-Heeled Shell Named Marcel
- Column: The FDA's Juul Ban May Not be a Pure Public Health Triumph
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State