Chinese diver He Zi received both a silver medal for the women’s 3-m springboard and a marriage proposal at the Rio Olympics on Sunday.
Boyfriend Qin Kai, 30, who had won bronze in the men’s 3-m synchronized springboard last week, seized the moment at the podium ceremony, bent down on one knee and offered up an engagement ring, according to Reuters.
“I didn’t know he would propose today,” said 25-year-old He, who tearfully accepted the proposal.
The sporting couple have been dating for the past six years.
“He said a lot of things there at the podium. He made a lot of promises, but the thing that has touched me the most is that I think this is the guy I can trust for the rest of my life,” He said
This is the second proposal seen so far at the Rio Games. Brazilian women’s rugby player Isadora Cerullo said yes to girlfriend Marjorie Enya after the rugby sevens final between New Zealand and Australia.
- The 100 Best Mystery and Thriller Books of All Time
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- What Beyoncé Gave Us
- Congress Avoided a Shutdown. What Happens Next?
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time