Aly Raisman‘s parents became internet sensations during the Rio Olympics when their tense reactions to their 22-year-old daughter’s performance went viral. However, Aly’s dad, Rick Raisman, told Today on Saturday that they just want to be there to support their daughter.
“It’s one of those things,” he says of being an Olympic parent. “You’re there to support your kids and daughter you see them work and sacrifice day in and day out … but it makes it all worth it in the end.
“We have no idea we’re even moving when we’re in the stands, we’re so caught up in the moment,” he said.
However, he joked that his new fame might be eclipsing that of his gold medal-winning daughter.
“I tell Aly I’m more famous than her!”
“It’s a calmness for me but for her she’s squeezing my hand really hard,” Rick said about their comparatively stoic appearances in the stands while watching Biles compete.
“We’re very proud of Simone,” Nellie added.
Simone and Aly took home the gold and silver, respectively, during the all-around individual competition on Thursday. Earlier in the week, the women and Team U.S.A. took home gold in the team all-around event.
However, the Olympics aren’t over for the gymnasts – Simone has three more competitions coming up, including the vault on Sunday, the beam on Monday and the floor exercise on Tuesday. Aly is also expected to compete in the floor exercise on Tuesday.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time