Michael Phelps banked his fifth gold medal of the Rio Olympics in his final race on Saturday night—ending his swimming career with a record-setting total of 23 gold medals. To put this accomplishment into perspective, no other Olympian has more than 9 golds.
As Phelps celebrates his final gold Saturday night in the men’s 4 x 100m medley relay final, TIME looks back at photos from every Olympic gold medal moment of his all-star career.
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was