Michael Phelps banked his fifth gold medal of the Rio Olympics in his final race on Saturday night—ending his swimming career with a record-setting total of 23 gold medals. To put this accomplishment into perspective, no other Olympian has more than 9 golds.
As Phelps celebrates his final gold Saturday night in the men’s 4 x 100m medley relay final, TIME looks back at photos from every Olympic gold medal moment of his all-star career.
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up