Michael Phelps banked his fifth gold medal of the Rio Olympics in his final race on Saturday night—ending his swimming career with a record-setting total of 23 gold medals. To put this accomplishment into perspective, no other Olympian has more than 9 golds.
As Phelps celebrates his final gold Saturday night in the men’s 4 x 100m medley relay final, TIME looks back at photos from every Olympic gold medal moment of his all-star career.
- The 100 Best Mystery and Thriller Books of All Time
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- What Beyoncé Gave Us
- Congress Avoided a Shutdown. What Happens Next?
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time