By Joe Cortright in CityLab
By Sarah Butrymowicz in the Hechinger Report
By Melissa Pandika in Ozy
By Katherine Cross in Wired
By Farah Naz Khan in Vox
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, D.C.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving