Canadian model Gigi Gorgeous said she was detained at Dubai airport for five hours Tuesday because she is transgender.
In an Instagram post, she said the experience was “one of the scariest moments of my entire life and I wouldn’t wish it upon anyone,” People reports.
The 24-year-old model and makeup artist, who became famous by documenting her transition on YouTube, told TMZ that an immigration official had stopped her and said, “I was told you are transgender. You cannot come into the country.”
“How you can be denied entry somewhere just because of who you are is seriously disgusting and also very scary,” Gorgeous wrote in her post. “This further proves the need for CHANGE.”
After the ordeal, the model said she was safely on her way to “to somewhere much more accepting.”
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Ocean Is Climate Change’s First Victim and Last Resort
- Column: 6 Proven Ways to Reduce Gun Violence
- Ads Are Officially Coming to Netflix. Here's What That Means for You
- Jenny Slate on the Unifying Power of a Well-Heeled Shell Named Marcel
- Column: The FDA's Juul Ban May Not be a Pure Public Health Triumph
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State