Canadian model Gigi Gorgeous said she was detained at Dubai airport for five hours Tuesday because she is transgender.
In an Instagram post, she said the experience was “one of the scariest moments of my entire life and I wouldn’t wish it upon anyone,” People reports.
The 24-year-old model and makeup artist, who became famous by documenting her transition on YouTube, told TMZ that an immigration official had stopped her and said, “I was told you are transgender. You cannot come into the country.”
“How you can be denied entry somewhere just because of who you are is seriously disgusting and also very scary,” Gorgeous wrote in her post. “This further proves the need for CHANGE.”
After the ordeal, the model said she was safely on her way to “to somewhere much more accepting.”
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve