Police apprehended a 20-year-old Virginia man who climbed Trump Tower on Wednesday.
The man scaled the building for about three hours late Wednesday afternoon before police grabbed him from a window around 6:30 p.m. He was taken to Bellevue Hospital for a psychological exam, and will be charged once police determine the appropriate course of action, officials said.
The man was attempting to climb to the top of Trump Tower in order to speak with Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, police told reporters in a news conference. He posted a video to YouTube on Tuesday, saying he was an “independent researcher” seeking a private audience with Trump to “discuss an important matter.” He also encouraged people to vote for Trump in the upcoming election.
“The reason I climbed your tower was to get your attention,” he said in the video. “If I had sought this via conventional means, I would be much less likely to have success because you are a busy man with many responsibilities.”
The man had made it to the sixth floor sub roof of the building’s south side around 4:30 p.m. and was continuing his climb, using a device made of suction cups, according to the NYPD. Authorities appeared to break a glass window above the man, but he quickly pivoted to the side and continued to climb.
A witness told ABC that the man was standing on the sub roof garden, which is open to the public, when he started climbing on the building’s East 56th Street side.
Witnesses were confused about the climber’s purpose and posted several pictures of the climber on Twitter.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart