Tuesday’s Olympics coverage features the much-anticipated women’s team gymnastics competition (occurring live in Rio as this is published). This is the moment for Aly Raisman, Simone Biles, Gabby Douglas, Laurie Hernandez and Madison Kocian to compete together for team U.S.A. before breaking off for individual events later in the competition.
The Rio Games are the last Olympics the women’s gymnastics teams will feature five competitors. Starting in the 2020 Toyko Games, there will only be four team members, the International Gymnastics Federation announced last year.
Raisman wrote about the importance of the team competition for TIME last year.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving