Luke Cage may be bulletproof, but Harlem is not. The first trailer for the new Netflix series shows the reluctant hero retreating from Hell’s Kitchen to Harlem after the events of Jessica Jones. Cage is forced to defend the neighborhood against a nefarious crime lord using his super strength.
During an interview with TIME, Mike Colter said Cage’s story will pick up where Jessica Jones left off. “Jessica had brought on quite a bit of baggage, things he didn’t want to deal with,” said Colter of Cage’s love interest played by Krysten Ritter. “By the time we get to the beginning of Luke Cage, he’s had time to get himself back on his feet a little bit. But he’s weary of women. He’s weary of trusting people.”
Except perhaps Claire Temple. Rosario Dawson will reprise her role as the nurse who gets tangled up with superheroes from Daredevil and Jessica Jones, Netflix’s two preceding Marvel shows.
Colter also told TIME that music will play an integral role on the show. “Harlem has this relationship with music that’s special—The Apollo Theater, The Cotton Club. For decades, artists lived in Harlem because they felt like it was a place they could thrive and live on their own terms,” he said.
The Marvel-Netflix shows have been grittier and darker than Marvel’s movies. Luke Cage looks to be no exception. Showrunner Cheo Hodari Coker has described the show as “The Wire for Marvel television.”
The Marvel show will hit Netflix on Sept. 30.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating