Michael Phelps unwittingly became social media’s meme of moment Monday night prior to the 200 meter butterfly Olympics semifinals in Rio. Shrouded in his hooded USA jacket and large headphones, the 31-year-old Olympic legend was caught on camera with the most intense game face while gearing himself up for the race in the dressing room.
His rival, South Africa’s Chad Le Clos — who beat Phelps to the gold in the same event in the 2012 Games — was dancing and shadowboxing directly in front of him. Phelps, however, remained unfazed, giving Le Clos a meme-worthy death stare in return.
His pre-race prep clearly paid off, as Phelps claimed second place in the event, and will advance to the finals on Tuesday.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time