Victoria’s Secret might have just hit a major Photoshop snafu.
A recent photograph posted to the company’s Instagram and Facebook accounts has caused users to accuse the lingerie brand of Photoshopping. In the ad, models Martha Hunt and Stella Maxwell are posing to look extra sultry in their Body by Victoria bras, but what sticks out the most—literally—is Hunt’s elbow.
Hunt’s awkward arm may or may not be a consequence of lighting or pose, but social media commenters stuck the blame on Photoshop. Victoria’s Secret did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
People have mentioned that Hunt’s arm (on the left) appears too smooth, whereas her elbow is sticking out too far behind Maxwell. One person commented, “The Photoshopping on the arm of the girl on the left is concerning.” Another commenter wrote, “Did anyone actually look at this photo before it was published?”
This isn’t the company’s first bout with body image criticism, either. In an interview with Motto, former Victoria’s Secret model Erin Heatherton spoke out about the pressure to maintain her image and weight. “I was really depressed because I was working so hard and I felt like my body was resisting me,” she says. “And I got to a point where one night I got home from a workout and I remember staring at my food and thinking maybe I should just not eat.”
Victoria’s Secret has dealt with Photoshop allegations in the past as well. In October 2015, an ad for a pair of underwear captioned “Truly. Madly. Cheeky,” features a model who seems to be missing, well, a cheek. People quickly took to Twitter to comment on the “cheeky” ad with questions such as, “Where’s her left buttock gone?”
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating