While Katie Ledecky and Michael Phelps have been busy winning gold for Team USA at the Rio 2016 Olympics, the Internet has been revisiting one of the best moments to come out of the 2004 summer games: NBC commentator Mary Carillo’s infamous badminton rant.
The video of the announcer’s nearly four-minute diatribe has recently begun making the online rounds again, showing Carillo segueing from a brief on the equipment used in the racket sport to a passionate lament on playing the lawn game at home.
“And somehow, mothers from all over the neighborhood hear that badminton is being played at Mary’s house,” she says. “They’re dropping off their kids — they know it’s an all day affair — they know it’s gonna involve 17 other sports. They’re dropping off their kids, they’re leaving skid marks!”
Watch the full clip below.
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement