Pita Nikolas Taufatofua quickly became a social media sensation during the opening ceremonies for the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro on Friday, when he carried Tonga’s flag into the arena, looking patriotic—and quite oiled up.
The Australian-born Taufatofua, 32, is competing in taekwondo and is the first Tongan athlete to qualify for the sport, the Washington Post reports. Before the ceremony, he hinted about “a little surprise” in a post on Instagram. “Don’t blink or you’ll miss it,” he wrote, including a wink.
The Internet didn’t miss it.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science