Pita Nikolas Taufatofua quickly became a social media sensation during the opening ceremonies for the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro on Friday, when he carried Tonga’s flag into the arena, looking patriotic—and quite oiled up.
The Australian-born Taufatofua, 32, is competing in taekwondo and is the first Tongan athlete to qualify for the sport, the Washington Post reports. Before the ceremony, he hinted about “a little surprise” in a post on Instagram. “Don’t blink or you’ll miss it,” he wrote, including a wink.
The Internet didn’t miss it.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow