Each election cycle, the list of most memorable political ads includes one involving a candidate shooting something.
In 2010, West Virginia Senate candidate Joe Manchin ran an ad in which he took “dead aim” at a climate change bill by shooting it with a rifle. In 2012, Ohio Congressional candidate Joe Wurzelbacher was filmed loading a shotgun and shooting several targets for an ad. In 2014, Kentucky Senate candidate Alison Lundergan Grimes went skeet shooting for an ad.
But Eric Greitens has escalated the ad war probably as far as it can go. In a new ad, the Missouri gubernatorial candidate is shown loading and firing a machine gun.
“Eric Greitens is under attack from Obama’s Democrat machine,” a voiceover says as Greitens puts on protective eyewear and ear protection. “But Eric Greitens is a conservative warrior and when he fights back, he brings out the big guns.”
A former Navy Seal, Greitens won the Republican primary Tuesday after casting himself as a conservative outsider. In an ad during the primary, he was shown firing an assault rifle.
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space