To copy from Gandalf the Grey: Stephen Colbert cannot let a Lord of the Rings question pass.
A new video from The Late Show, shows Colbert proving to his audience (and Peter Jackson and James Franco) that he is the one Lord of the Rings fan who shall rule them all. Whether answering questions about Lord of the Rings interview guests or favorite characters, Colbert reveals his love of the deeply arcane tidbits from J.R.R. Tolkien’s body from The Hobbit to The Silmarillion.
It’s also clear that Colbert has spent a lot of time thinking about Middle Earth trivia and the Lord of the Rings world that Tolkein created. When an audience member asks Colbert to name his favorite character from the Lord of the Rings, Colbert launches into an intense monologue on Samwise Gamgee and why Gandalf thought Frodo Baggins could possibly throw the Ring into the cracks of Doom to destroy it.
“Gandalf did not put as much thought into this as I have,” Colbert explained. Clearly.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now