To copy from Gandalf the Grey: Stephen Colbert cannot let a Lord of the Rings question pass.
A new video from The Late Show, shows Colbert proving to his audience (and Peter Jackson and James Franco) that he is the one Lord of the Rings fan who shall rule them all. Whether answering questions about Lord of the Rings interview guests or favorite characters, Colbert reveals his love of the deeply arcane tidbits from J.R.R. Tolkien’s body from The Hobbit to The Silmarillion.
It’s also clear that Colbert has spent a lot of time thinking about Middle Earth trivia and the Lord of the Rings world that Tolkein created. When an audience member asks Colbert to name his favorite character from the Lord of the Rings, Colbert launches into an intense monologue on Samwise Gamgee and why Gandalf thought Frodo Baggins could possibly throw the Ring into the cracks of Doom to destroy it.
“Gandalf did not put as much thought into this as I have,” Colbert explained. Clearly.
- Inside the Death of a Rural Daycare
- Exclusive: Inside Ukraine’s Secret Effort to Train Pilots for U.S. Fighter Jets
- TIME’s First Interview in the Metaverse: How a Filmmaker Made a Movie and Fell in Love in VR
- How The Inflation Reduction Act Will Spur a New Climate Tech Ecosystem
- Climate-Conscious Architects Want Europe To Build Less
- Social Media Companies Like TikTok Hope to Fight Election Misinformation. Experts Say Their Plans Aren’t Enough
- How I Got My Students to Stop Staring at Screens
- Author Mimi Zhu Is Relearning What It Means to Love After Trauma