USA Gymnastics failed to notify authorities of several allegations of sexual abuse by coaches, according to an investigation by the Indianapolis Star.
The report published Thursday reveals that the sport’s governing body in America failed to alert authorities in at least four incidents of alleged abuse. The coaches accused went on to abuse some 14 other underage gymnasts, the report says.
USA Gymnastics, which is based in Indiana, relied on firsthand accusations before alerting authorities, which violated state law that required the organization to report any suspected abuse, according to the Star.
- Zero-COVID Protests in China Have Rattled Global Markets
- Column: Diversity Initiatives Are Failing the U.S. Muslim Community
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022