USA Gymnastics failed to notify authorities of several allegations of sexual abuse by coaches, according to an investigation by the Indianapolis Star.
The report published Thursday reveals that the sport’s governing body in America failed to alert authorities in at least four incidents of alleged abuse. The coaches accused went on to abuse some 14 other underage gymnasts, the report says.
USA Gymnastics, which is based in Indiana, relied on firsthand accusations before alerting authorities, which violated state law that required the organization to report any suspected abuse, according to the Star.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time