Following a slew of negative Suicide Squad reviews from critics, DC Comics fans have launched a petition to shut down Rotten Tomatoes — an aggregate site on which the film currently has an approval rating of 33 percent. With stars such as Will Smith (Deadshot), Margot Robbie (Harley Quinn) and Jared Leto (The Joker), David Ayer’s antihero flick is one of the most highly-anticipated movies of the summer.
The Change.org petition — which has been signed by more than 11,000 people to date — argues that critics don’t give DC Comics films their just dues, ruining them for viewers before they are even released. “Critics always give The DC Extended Universe movies unjust Bad Reviews… and that Affects people’s opinion,” the petition’s creator wrote.
However, the creator has since added a clarification stating that the goal of the petition is not actually to shut down Rotten Tomatoes, but rather to send a message. “A petition definitely won’t shut down the site,” he wrote. “The aim of the petition is to deliver a message to the critics that there is a lot of people disagree with their reviews.”
Suicide Squad hits theaters Aug. 5.
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future
- 6 Groups Making Mental Health Care More Accessible to People of Color