A couple in India were murdered by a grocer Thursday following a disagreement over a debt of 15 rupees (22 cents).
The couple, from India’s lowest Dalit caste were attacked with an axe in the state of Uttar Pradesh, and found dead with injuries to their neck, police said.
Bharat Singh, 65, and his wife Mamta, 60, reportedly owed the local shopkeeper money for biscuits they bought for their three children earlier in the week, the BBC reported. They were on their way to work Thursday morning when the grocer, identified as Ashok Mishra, confronted the couple and demanded they pay him right away. When they told him they would return the money after receiving their daily wages that evening, Mishra allegedly attacked and killed the couple with an axe.
Police arrested Mishra and his wife Rajni.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow