Hillary Clinton’s historic nomination is groundbreaking for women today, so Stephen Colbert and the stars of Broad City imagined on The Late Show how women in 1776 would have reacted.
At first, Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer (or rather, Josephine Hindley and Abatha Whitmore) are thrilled. But when Colbert mentions that it’s the year 2016, their reaction changes. “Get the butter out of the barn,” Glazer says. “Are you telling us it takes us 240 years to get a female president?”
“Well, it’s just a nominee at this point, she hasn’t been elected,” Colbert clarifies.
“What the butter is wrong with all of you people? Why did it take so long?” Jacobson says. “It’s right there in the Declaration of Independence: ‘All men are created -’ ah.”
Watch the clip above.
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How Safe Is India's Railway Network?
- The 'Dopamine Detox' Is Having a Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- What NASA Can Teach SpaceX About Protecting the Environment
- The Best Movies of 2023 So Far