As gymnast Simone Biles prepares to compete in her first Olympics in Rio, the American team that won the sport’s gold medal 20 years ago is rallying behind her.
The Magnificent Seven—the members of the 1996 U.S. women’s gymnastics team—recently spoke to TIME about Biles’ potential, with one noting that “there has never been anyone more heavily favored for the Olympic games’ all-around title.”
Jaycie Phelps, who has known Biles since she was a child, spoke about how the 19-year-old’s talent has always been apparent. “You can tell in a gymnast when they’ve got something,” Phelps said. “When I was coaching, I knew her as a younger gymnast and she always had this incredible talent. Everybody looked at her and said that kid’s going to do something big some day.”
Watch the video above for more.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Why It’s OK to Say No to That Party You’re Dreading
- COP28 Is a Business Bonanza. Should It Be?
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- Column: When India Was a Human Rights Leader
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time