In a wide-ranging speech, former President Bill Clinton vigorously defended his wife and made the case for her presidency. He said at the Democratic National Convention Republicans have created a “cartoon” of Hillary Clinton because they fear the “real change” she would bring to America.
“But good for you, because earlier today, you nominated the real one,” Clinton said of his wife. The president had the crowd rocking and cheering as he jabbed Trump, joked about his record and spoke for nearly 45 minutes. “She is still the best darn change maker I have ever known,” Clinton said hours after Democrats officially nominated the first female presidential nominee of a major political party.
After a Monday marred by discord and a Tuesday full of vote-driven unity, Clinton rallied Democrats to get behind his wife. “Hillary will make us stronger together,” he said.
Read Clinton’s remarks as delivered below:
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve