TBS has responded to a controversial video and accompanying tweet posted to its official Twitter account that compared Hillary Clinton to a hyena. The video led one of its stars, Samantha Bee, to respond: “Delete your account.”
“This post was obviously a poor attempt at humor and has been taken down,” the network said Tuesday in a statement. “Moving forward we’ll leave political satire to professionals like Samantha Bee.”
Bee called her network out on Twitter on Monday night as the Democratic National Convention drew to a close, but deleted the tweet minutes later.
The 24-second video, “Hillary Clinton’s Call of the Wild,” featured clips of a laughing Clinton alternating with shots of a pack of wild hyenas making cackling sounds.
It was created on July 22 by the Heckler, a TBS-owned comedy site, and reposted to the main TBS account two days later.
“Move over Donkey! There’s a new mascot in town. … #ImWithHyena,” the accompanying tweet read.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving