Comedian Sarah Silverman told Bernie Sanders supporters they’re being “ridiculous” on Monday night at the Democratic national convention in Philadelphia.
A former Sanders supporter, Silverman spoke onstage with Minnesota Sen. Al Franken about how she would vote for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton while staying true to her political beliefs.
Silverman, who is known for off-color material, joked that she had been “feeling the Bern” during the Democratic primary but was putting “some cream on it.”
But the two found themselves with extra time on their hands when musician Paul Simon, who they were supposed to introduce, needed more time. Silverman noted that she was being asked to “stretch” on stage, then ad libbed a line.
“Can I just say to the Bernie or Bust people: You’re being ridiculous,” she said.
“Bernie” chants erupted from the crowd after her comment.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time