The Democratic party released its platform at the Democratic National Convention began on Monday night in Philadelphia. Over three weeks, 187 members of the party platform committee debate what language the document should include. Party leaders called the platform “aggressive” and a “bold vision” for where America needs to move in the next four years.
The platform stands in stark contrast to the Republican platform unveiled last week. The Republican document opposed rights for transgender Americans, same-sex marriage, abortions and increased restrictions on gun ownership.
Read what the Democratic platform says about abortion, guns and other hot-button issues below. To read the platform in full, click here.
‘War on drugs’
Money in politics
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- Congress Avoided a Shutdown. What Happens Next?
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time