Sam Foltz, 22, a punter for the Nebraska Cornhuskers, and Mike Sadler, 24, a former punter for the Michigan State Spartans, were killed Saturday when their car left road in Wisconsin’s Waukesha County and crashed into a tree.
The county sheriff’s office says Sadler was driving the car when it lost control on wet pavement at 11:43 p.m., and that speed played a role in the crash, ESPN reports.
The two players were reportedly returning from a kicking camp in Wales, Wisconsin, along with Louisiana State University Tigers kicker Colby Delahoussaye, who was in the vehicle but survived the crash needing stitches and with burns to his legs.
Tributes poured in on social media for the two young sportsmen, including from their respective clubs and coaches.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time