Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos briefly became the third-richest person in the world on Friday, surpassing billionaire investor Warren Buffett for the first time.
By noon on Friday, Bezos’ net worth had reached $65 billion, which put him $300 million ahead of Buffett, Forbes reports. But when markets closed on Friday, his net worth had fallen to $64.6 billion, which returned the upper hand to Buffett by $400 million. Bezos’ successful rise to third place came as a result of Amazon’s strong performance and Buffett’s recent donations to charity, according to Forbes.
Read more: These Are the Richest People in the World
Microsoft founder Bill Gates and Zara founder Amancio Ortega remain the wealthiest people in the world, with fortunes of $78 billion and $74.1 billion, respectively.
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Why We Can't Get Over the Roman Empire
- The Final Season of Netflix’s Sex Education Sends Off a Beloved Cast in Style
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- The Case for Mediocrity
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time