Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos briefly became the third-richest person in the world on Friday, surpassing billionaire investor Warren Buffett for the first time.
By noon on Friday, Bezos’ net worth had reached $65 billion, which put him $300 million ahead of Buffett, Forbes reports. But when markets closed on Friday, his net worth had fallen to $64.6 billion, which returned the upper hand to Buffett by $400 million. Bezos’ successful rise to third place came as a result of Amazon’s strong performance and Buffett’s recent donations to charity, according to Forbes.
Read more: These Are the Richest People in the World
Microsoft founder Bill Gates and Zara founder Amancio Ortega remain the wealthiest people in the world, with fortunes of $78 billion and $74.1 billion, respectively.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow