The Star Trek Beyond cast honored their late co-star Anton Yelchin before the film’s premiere at San Diego Comic-Con Wednesday night by holding a moment of silence. Yelchin — who played Chekov in the rebooted trilogy — died in June after being crushed by his own car.
Producer J.J. Abrams stood on stage with the stars of Beyond — including Idris Elba, Zoe Saldana and Chris Pine — before the screening began to speak about the loss of the 27-year-old actor. “As wonderful as this is to be here with all of you and to be celebrating the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, there is something wrong tonight,” he said, according to E! News. “There is something missing tonight. There is someone missing tonight. Anton Yelchin should be here. Anton’s parents are here, Irina and Victor. We love their son, and if I could ask everyone to have a moment of silence for our dear friend, Anton.”
The silence lasted for over a minute. Watch a clip below.
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive