Nate Thurmond, star center for the then San Francisco Warriors in the 1960s and ’70s. The seven-time All-Star was known for his defensive skills.
Twenty-eight pages from a 2002 congressional inquiry into the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, discussing possible ties between the hijackers and Saudi Arabia. The White House said they did not prove the Saudi government had a direct role in the attacks.
The United Methodist Church’s first openly gay bishop, the Rev. Karen Oliveto of San Francisco, by the church’s western district, in spite of the denomination’s ban on same-sex relationships.
This appears in the August 01, 2016 issue of TIME.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time