When she found out she had received an Emmy nomination for her role as Arya Stark on Game of Thrones, Maisie Williams was Facetiming with her mom. Now, the 19-year-old actress has revealed that the first person to share the news with her is exactly who she plans on bringing as her date to the September awards show.
“I found out in the best way,” she told People during a recent interview. “I was away from [my mom] last week, and I speak to her every day — so I FaceTimed her…and a little notification from Twitter came up — a tweet from Game of Thrones…I was just so happy and couldn’t quite believe it really — I still can’t believe it. And it was amazing to share that moment with my mom. She was crying.”
Williams went on to say that she attributes her success to her mother. “She gave me the gift and gave me her blessing to do what I want with my life,” she said. “To be like, ‘Okay…you’re going to do this and we’re going to prove them all wrong,’ rather than, you know, making me stay in school. And I’m still educated, I’ve still got everything I need in life. I thank her every single day.”
And to thank her even more, Williams bought her mom a gift that would be all the rage in Westeros. “When I found out I got nominated for an Emmy, I got her a bottle of gin,” she told People, laughing. “Because it’s for her, she’s done this for me and I’m just grateful every single day.”
Read more at People.com.
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- Why Trump's Call to Protest Is Flopping
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement