In an emotionally raw speech, the mother of an American Foreign Service official killed in Benghazi claimed that Hillary Clinton lied to her and argued that Donald Trump would improve national security at the Republican convention Monday.
“I blame Hillary Clinton personally for the death of my son,” said Patricia Smith, whose son Sean was killed in the attack. “How could she do this to me? How could she do this to any American family? Donald Trump is everything Hillary Clinton is not.”
Read Smith’s remarks in full below:
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- How Drag Culture Inspired Ursula
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction