The first place winner for the travel category was taken by Italian photographer Francesco Cattuto in Assisi, Italy. While on a sunset walk with his girlfriend on a foggy day last year, Francesco decided to launch his drone. As it climbed above the weather, The Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi became visible poking through the fog. In the resulting image, the Basilica appears to be floating through the sky.
Francesco took the photo using his DJI Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter. He says he would like to use his quadcopter to photograph over Rome, Florence, or Venice, but local drone regulations do not yet permit him to do so. Francesco has taken his drone to the Maldives and hopes to travel to Australia, Africa, and South America.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve