The first place winner for the travel category was taken by Italian photographer Francesco Cattuto in Assisi, Italy. While on a sunset walk with his girlfriend on a foggy day last year, Francesco decided to launch his drone. As it climbed above the weather, The Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi became visible poking through the fog. In the resulting image, the Basilica appears to be floating through the sky.
Francesco took the photo using his DJI Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter. He says he would like to use his quadcopter to photograph over Rome, Florence, or Venice, but local drone regulations do not yet permit him to do so. Francesco has taken his drone to the Maldives and hopes to travel to Australia, Africa, and South America.
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy