The first place winner for the travel category was taken by Italian photographer Francesco Cattuto in Assisi, Italy. While on a sunset walk with his girlfriend on a foggy day last year, Francesco decided to launch his drone. As it climbed above the weather, The Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi became visible poking through the fog. In the resulting image, the Basilica appears to be floating through the sky.
Francesco took the photo using his DJI Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter. He says he would like to use his quadcopter to photograph over Rome, Florence, or Venice, but local drone regulations do not yet permit him to do so. Francesco has taken his drone to the Maldives and hopes to travel to Australia, Africa, and South America.
- The Biggest Moments From the Second Republican Debate
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- Death and Desperation Take Over the World's Largest Refugee Camp
- Right-Wing's New Aim: a Parallel Economy
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time