On Sunday night, the feud between Taylor Swift and Kanye West reached a boiling point when Kim Kardashian West released footage of a recorded call between West and Swift on Snapchat. The video appears to show the two music superstars discussing the lyrics of his song, “Famous,” which references Swift.
A quick recap: After West released the song, Swift released a statement: “Kanye did not call for approval, but to ask Taylor to release his single ‘Famous’ on her Twitter account. She declined and cautioned him about releasing a song with such a strong misogynistic message.” But in a recent GQ profile, Kardashian West contradicted this, saying that Swift was not telling the truth — and that she had recorded proof.
Last night, Kardashian West made good on her word. In the grainy video, which has frequent cuts and edits, West appears to read the lyric in question to Swift, which she calls a “compliment.” They then affirm their mutual respect for each other. And Swift jokes that everyone will think it’s a feud — but that she’ll be able to dispel those rumors, thanks to the phone call.
The Internet immediately exploded, as Twitter and Facebook went wild with the hashtag #KimExposedTaylorParty. Swift responded with a note explaining that she did not approve the use of the derogatory expletive — and called out the West team for recording her without her consent.
Read the full transcript of the choppy Snapchat story here. (The frequent cuts make it impossible to discern what’s been left out of the conversation.)
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up