Star Wars Celebration Europe was full of major moments for fans of the space fantasy saga — behind-the-scenes footage from Rogue One was released, Alden Ehrenreich was officially confirmed as young Han Solo and Mark Hamill did his Joker laugh. But there was one sad announcement.
During a Sunday panel with host Warwick Davis — an Ewok in Star Wars — Carrie Fisher revealed that Princess Leia and Han Solo’s marriage was not a happy affair, reports IGN. When asked about the events that took place between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens, the 59-year-old actress at first replied, “Han’s funeral” — an admission that some speculate is a spoiler for Episode VIII. However, she quickly corrected herself. “The old one, oh,” she said. “Han and I have a very volatile relationship obviously, which leads to space divorce. No, I don’t think we are divorced — we’re just estranged.”
She then went on to say that having Kylo Ren — played by Adam Driver — as a kid didn’t help matters. “We had a child who turned out to be Hitler, naughty Hitler. You’d feel bad too if your child did all that, wouldn’t you?,” Fisher said. “I did spank Adam when I first met him, so that felt good.”
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- How Drag Culture Inspired Ursula
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction