Alden Ehrenreich will play a young Han Solo in an upcoming Star Wars spinoff, the directors of the film said.
The Hail, Caesar! actor was cast for the role of the standalone movie after auditioning for six months, he said at Star Wars Celebration Europe at the ExCel Centre in London, according to Deadline. He was part of the first batch of 3,000 tryouts. The role was originally played by Harrison Ford.
“When it first came along I knew everybody would be going out for it,” he said. “I read the sides and loved them and thought, ‘Who knows, but let me give it a shot.’”
The film, which debuts in May 2018, will be directed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller, Deadline reports. “We thought this was the hardest casting challenge of all time. They were the biggest boots to fill,” Miller said, according to Variety.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve