Instagram first popped up in 2010. Over its relatively short but exceptionally formative six-year existence, it has shaped the way that celebrities communicate with fans, define their brands, and broadcast both private and public moments. But way before Kim Kardashian fully mastered the art of the selfie, and way before fashion and food bloggers were putting professional-level pics on the platform, some of your favorite celebrities were messing around with the do-it-yourself app.
Here, you’ll find the first ever posts currently available on the accounts of 35 of our most public celebrities. Some of them have been on the platform for more than five years (we’re talking to you, Justin Bieber); some, like Pope Francis, just got up and running about a few months ago. But most of these are from a time before “social media manager” was a job. From Selena Gomez, the reigning queen of Instagram to Oprah, from Harry Styles to Taylor Swift — take a look back in time (in no particular order). And enjoy the abundant throwback filters.
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson
Robert Downey Jr.
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement