Instagram first popped up in 2010. Over its relatively short but exceptionally formative six-year existence, it has shaped the way that celebrities communicate with fans, define their brands, and broadcast both private and public moments. But way before Kim Kardashian fully mastered the art of the selfie, and way before fashion and food bloggers were putting professional-level pics on the platform, some of your favorite celebrities were messing around with the do-it-yourself app.
Here, you’ll find the first ever posts currently available on the accounts of 35 of our most public celebrities. Some of them have been on the platform for more than five years (we’re talking to you, Justin Bieber); some, like Pope Francis, just got up and running about a few months ago. But most of these are from a time before “social media manager” was a job. From Selena Gomez, the reigning queen of Instagram to Oprah, from Harry Styles to Taylor Swift — take a look back in time (in no particular order). And enjoy the abundant throwback filters.
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson
Robert Downey Jr.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve