If there’s one thing that Joe Biden loves (besides pizza), it’s ice cream. Since campaigning with Barack Obama in 2008, there have been numerous memorable sightings around the country of the Vice President at different ice cream shops, proudly holding up a cone like the Statue of Liberty, or playing it cool while wearing Ray-Ban aviators, cone in one hand and cash in the other.
In May, Biden visited the headquarters of Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream in Columbus, Ohio to discuss the U.S. economy and federal overtime. “My name is Joe Biden and I love ice cream,” the Vice President said after taking the podium. “You all think I’m kidding, I’m not. I eat more ice cream than three other people you’d like to be with, all at once.”
In 2010, the Penny Ice Creamery in Santa Cruz, Calif. created a video reflecting on how their dream of opening an ice cream shop was made a reality due to the Recovery Act. Biden called the shop’s owners to thank and congratulate them on their business, making a deal to visit the shop. In a video of the phone call, uploaded by the White House’s YouTube account, Biden boldly claims, “I am a genuine lover of ice cream. I don’t drink. I don’t smoke. But I eat a lot of ice cream.” There’s even a Tumblr page dedicated to his obsession.
Above, we’ve collected some of the best photos showing Biden’s love affair with the dessert
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022