Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump cancelled a planned vice presidential announcement after an attack in Nice, France that left at least 84 people dead Thursday evening.
Trump made the announcement on Twitter, saying, “In light of the horrible attack in Nice, France, I have postponed tomorrow’s news conference concerning my Vice Presidential announcement.”
Trump was expected to announce that he is choosing Indiana Gov. Mike Pence as his running mate, Republican officials had said.
He revealed the change of plans after learning of the deadly attack in Nice, in which a truck crashed into a crowd of people who were celebrating Bastille Day. In addition to the at least 60 people who were killed, another 100 were injured, authorities said.
Over the past year of campaigning, Trump has repeatedly responded to terror attacks via Twitter. In the wake of a deadly mass shooting in San Bernardino, Calif. last December, Trump called for the U.S. to ban Muslims from entering the country.
- In Photos: How Wildfire Smoke Impacted Cities
- How Antitrust Laws Could Kill the PGA-LIV Golf Merger
- Teens Are Taking Wegovy for Weight Loss
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- The Best TV Shows of 2023 So Far
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk