Anna Kendrick may have helped popularize a cappella versions of songs accompanied by cups when she turned the Carter Family’s “When I’m Gone” into the chart-topping hit “Cups” in Pitch Perfect, but Emma Stone and Maya Rudolph may have perfected the art form.
In the season finale of Maya & Marty, Rudolph and Stone performed an …ahem, pitch perfect cover of Robyn’s dance party anthem “Call Your Girlfriend” accompanied by empty butter tubs. The two stars performed the song barefoot on stage, just two women and their butter tubs.
In the video, Rudolph explains that she has been practicing the song ever since she first saw this YouTube video of Swedish band Erato performing the song. Their take on the track went viral about five years ago (an eternity in Internet years) but will undoubtedly find renewed interest thanks to Rudolph’s and Stone’s impressive tribute.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com