Anna Kendrick may have helped popularize a cappella versions of songs accompanied by cups when she turned the Carter Family’s “When I’m Gone” into the chart-topping hit “Cups” in Pitch Perfect, but Emma Stone and Maya Rudolph may have perfected the art form.
In the season finale of Maya & Marty, Rudolph and Stone performed an …ahem, pitch perfect cover of Robyn’s dance party anthem “Call Your Girlfriend” accompanied by empty butter tubs. The two stars performed the song barefoot on stage, just two women and their butter tubs.
In the video, Rudolph explains that she has been practicing the song ever since she first saw this YouTube video of Swedish band Erato performing the song. Their take on the track went viral about five years ago (an eternity in Internet years) but will undoubtedly find renewed interest thanks to Rudolph’s and Stone’s impressive tribute.
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- What to Know About the History of the Debt Ceiling
- 10 Questions the Succession Finale Needs to Answer
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Why Rich People Aren't Using Phone Cases