Jennifer Aniston has been the subject of tabloid headlines for years, whether it’s about her divorce with Brad Pitt, remarriage to Justin Theroux—or any number of very personal topics. This time, she’s had enough.
“I am not pregnant. What I am is fed up,” she wrote in a scathing op-ed column Tuesday for the Huffington Post. She shared the frustration she feels with the constant public scrutiny of her life, down to what she eats and wears. But, she says, the problem with that doesn’t end with her own feelings.
And celebrity news, she says, is a vehicle for perpetuating this damaging view of women. She points to her own experience dealing with recent pregnancy rumors, which she says “points to the perpetuation of this notion that women are somehow incomplete, unsuccessful, or unhappy if they’re not married with children.” Pregnancy—and anything having to do with her life—will be her choice and not “because I feel incomplete in some way, as our celebrity news culture would lead us all to believe.”
“We don’t need to be married or mothers to be complete,” she writes. “We get to determine our own “happily ever after” for ourselves.”
She doubts that celebrity tabloid coverage will change overnight, and instead urges the changes to the culture to come from all of us. “We get to decide how much we buy into what’s being served up, and maybe some day the tabloids will be forced to see the world through a different, more humanized lens.”
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022