Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg doubled down on her criticism of Republican nominee Donald Trump, telling a CNN reporter that he’s a “faker.”
“He has no consistency about him,” Ginsburg told CNN. “He says whatever comes into his head at the moment. He really has an ego. … How has he gotten away with not turning over his tax returns? The press seems to be very gentle with him on that.”
A Trump spokeswoman told CNN Trump’s tax returns are being audited and will be released when that process is complete.
Ginsburg has made no secret of her contempt for the GOP nominee. Last week, she said, “It’s likely that the next president, whoever she will be, will have a few appointments to make,” hinting at her preference for Hillary Clinton. On Sunday, Ginsburg said, “I can’t imagine what our country would be — with Donald Trump as president.”
The 77-year-old Bill Clinton appointee has long been outspoken on a variety of political subjects, though she has been criticized by court-watchers for her statements on Trump, which could open her to complaints of bias if he were elected. Ginsburg openly criticized attempts to limit access to abortions and the Senate blocking Obama’s appointment of Merrick Garland to replace Antonin Scalia on the Supreme Court.
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future
- 6 Groups Making Mental Health Care More Accessible to People of Color