Many people may know Matt McGorry as John Bennett from Orange Is The New Black and How to Get Away With Murder’s Asher Millstone, but to others, he’s an overtly vocal feminist who supports #FreeTheNipple and the Ms. Foundation. He even describes himself as an “activist and intersectional feminist” in his Twitter bio.
McGorry overheard a segment on The Woody Show called “Fat Chick/Skinny Chick,” where listeners had to guess the weight of a woman based on how she answered a question, Cosmopolitan reported. He took to Twitter to slam the segment as “horrendously sexist.”
Cosmopolitan reports that The Woody Show called him a liar in a now-deleted tweet — so he filmed himself having a conversation with a cab driver about whether or not the segment was actually offensive.
The Woody Show attempted to make amends by showing that they were good people, too, and tweeted an image of the other causes they support, like standing with Orlando.
Some of McGarry’s fans stepped in and voiced their frustrations at The Woody Show.
The Woody Show deleted their tweets, but McGorry hardly let them live that down.
Correction: A previous version of this story misstated the name of McGorry’s character on How To Get Away With Murder. It is Asher Millstone.
- Governor Gretchen Whitmer on Her Fight for Abortion Access in Michigan
- Inside the War on Fake Consumer Reviews
- Column: Europe's Refugee Crisis Is Going to Get Worse
- How Lawmakers Are Trying to Protect Abortion Data Privacy
- The Surprising Thing That Could Help Ease Inflation
- Finding the American Dream in Canada
- The Safest Sunscreens to Buy—and Which Ingredients to Avoid
- Fact-Checking 8 Claims About Crypto’s Climate Impact
- How Grief Upsets Your Gut Health
- Who Could Replace Boris Johnson As U.K. Prime Minister?