Ramsey County Prosecutor John Choi said Friday that he asked for a “prompt and thorough investigation” into the officer-involved shooting death of a black motorist in Minnesota.
Choi said that a widely circulated video of the incident capturing Philando Castile bleeding in his vehicle after being shot by police would be used as part of the investigation, according to the Associated Press.
“We must do better in our state and in our nation to improve police-community interactions to ensure the safety of everyone in this country, but particularly the safety of African Americans, who disproportionately lose their lives as a result,” Choi said during a news conference Friday.
He declined, however, to provide further details about the incident, including what led to the deadly traffic stop.
The incident was captured on camera from the car by Castile’s girlfriend Diamond Jackson and broadcast online using Facebook Live. Choi acknowledged the sweeping reach of the video, saying “what is depicted in the video, it just makes you sad to watch all of that unfold.”
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time